Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Postby my03 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 pm

I enabled the night vision mode in config.txt (disable_camera_led=1) and noticed that the ir lights were on constantly, even during daytime. I then adjusted the pots just enough so that they turned off with smallest possible margin (during daytime).

My question is: are they supposed to sense decrease in ligth and turn on automatically in this mode, or are they supposed to first be toggled from high to low by gpio (night mode) for it to then be able to turn on these lights?

my03
n00b

Postby Dave » Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 am

I've just had a quick test, and the brightness of the IR LEDs are always determined by the light sensors.

In all the tests below the result was the same - IR leds would come on when i covered the light sensor, and go off when shining a light at them

I tried:

Setting the boot/config.txt to disable_camera_led=1

Wiring up the toggle pin, setting it LOW (night vision mode)

Wiring up the toggle pin, setting it HIGH (normal mode)

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby my03 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks Dave. I followed suit and adjusted using a flashlight as you did and now they went off just fine when shining a light on them (and vice versa)

But in a normally lit room (i.e no direct light on the sensors) things are worse. I guess they are not sensitive enough(??) or i have to make sure that they are exposed to direct sunlight during daytime (and having them automatically light up during dawn/nighttime).

my03
n00b

Postby Dave » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 am

my03 wrote:Thanks Dave. I followed suit and adjusted using a flashlight as you did and now they went off just fine when shining a light on them (and vice versa)

But in a normally lit room (i.e no direct light on the sensors) things are worse. I guess they are not sensitive enough(??) or i have to make sure that they are exposed to direct sunlight during daytime (and having them automatically light up during dawn/nighttime).

The LEDs certainly dimmed when exposed to the ambient light in the office. Might be worth adjusting the light sensitivity pots again :)

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support