Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:33 am

Postby autoq » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 am

Any opinions on these two
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/camera/camera-boards/raspberry-pi-night-vision-camera
versus
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/camera/camera-boards/raspberry-pi-noir-infrared-camera-board-v2-8mp1080p

The built in IR LED's sounds ideal but am not sure abut the "hot temp" reviews. Also the NOIR V2 (which I will need to get IR LEDS separately for) appears to have a better camera. Presently that does not bother me too much as I want to hook up a camera to monitor the catflap during the wee small hours.......

autoq
n00b

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:58 am

Hi,

We've sold a lot of both ;)

You've basically lined up the pro's and con's already. One unit has built in IR LEDs but the camera is slightly worse, the other may require some type of IR reflective lighting to help illuminate the area for nighttime video, but has a better quality camera.

I think people tend to exaggerate the hotness of the nightvision IR's - It is an IR lamp at the end of the day. You wouldn't really want to poke a ceiling light that's been on for a few hours. . . .

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby smuldal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Another important consideration is the focus range of the adjustable lens (particularly for those of us who are interested in wildlife photography of quite small animals). What is its closest and furthest focus distance?
(That brings me to another point - I've read elsewhere that these LEDs give best lighting in the range 3-5 metres, so they may not be suitable for close focus. If only there was a market for a lower-powered LED boards, I'd buy them!)

smuldal
n00b

Postby BMS Doug » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 am

smuldal wrote:Another important consideration is the focus range of the adjustable lens (particularly for those of us who are interested in wildlife photography of quite small animals). What is its closest and furthest focus distance?
(That brings me to another point - I've read elsewhere that these LEDs give best lighting in the range 3-5 metres, so they may not be suitable for close focus. If only there was a market for a lower-powered LED boards, I'd buy them!)

The Bright Pi LED board can be dimmed, it connects to your Pi via I2C and you can control the light level output by PWM.
Bright Pi plugs directly into the I2C interface on the Raspberry Pi, and is completely controllable via the command line, using Python and lots of other programming languages as well. The brightness of the LEDs is fully controllable using the onboard LED driver chip.

BMS Doug

Doug.

Volunteer Moderator.

Postby smuldal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks for your suggestion. As the BrightPi may not be powerful enough, would the illumipi (https://goo.gl/WngvdM) be controllable in the same way?
As for PWM, I'm not familiar with this - might there be problems with pulses not syncing with the camera exposure?

smuldal
n00b

Postby BMS Doug » Thu May 04, 2017 3:52 pm

smuldal wrote:Thanks for your suggestion. As the BrightPi may not be powerful enough, would the illumipi (https://goo.gl/WngvdM) be controllable in the same way?
As for PWM, I'm not familiar with this - might there be problems with pulses not syncing with the camera exposure?

The MOFSET is a transistor so can be rapidly turned on and off without any issues (which is the essence of Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). when using PWM to control your lighting output you should be able to completely control the PWM settings so finding a setting that works with the camera shouldn't be an issue.

There are excellent libraries allowing access to sophisticated PWM settings through almost any programming language that you want to use (I'm looking at you PIGPIO).

illumipi should work for what you need..

BMS Doug

Doug.

Volunteer Moderator.