Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:40 am

Postby RomTownPi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:46 pm

afternoon all,

I'm fairly new to this whole thing (still waiting for my first Pi (and it's sad just how excited I am about that!)).

I want to recycle some of my old tech to use as a screen (short term at least) for my pi ... I have a couple of options:

1. an old laptop screen (laptop is dead)
2. Kindle Fire (that was rendered somewhat obsolete due to the acquisition of a larger tablet and the kindle app)

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to which would be the better option ... ideally, I'd like to have a physical connection between the two, I'm just not certain how practical that'd be.

For the record, I'm more than happy to take the kindle apart to take the screen out if that seems like a more viable option.

Any advice from people who have done similar would be greatly appreciated. or even just thoughts.

I've seen similar things done, but mostly it seems to involve using the kindles software, I just want to use a screen as a screen, not create a terminal within the kindle etc. and have to link things by wifi etc.

RomTownPi
n00b

Postby Jake » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi,

The screens used in the laptop and kindle will likely use a flat LCD ribbon cable, similar to that in the following:

http://www.modmypi.com/electronics/disp ... uchscreen/

You can get decoders which convert the ribbon signal to HDMI, for example:

http://www.modmypi.com/beagle-board/bre ... ith-touch/

However, these are only compatible with LCDs with the same ribbon connector.

Integrating your screens with a Pi is trickier than it may seem!

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby RomTownPi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks for that, Jake!

This is why I thought it may be best to seek advice before tearing my kindle apart and messing with it all.

This probably also goes some way to explaining why I was unable to find any link that even suggested it as a reasonable (or logical) method.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do the classic Kindleberry Pi style hack over WiFi.

Thanks for the help regardless

RomTownPi
n00b

Postby Jake » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi,

No worries, glad I could help - feel free to document your kindleberry hack in our projects section if you think it will help others

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby RomTownPi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:39 am

Jake wrote:Hi,

No worries, glad I could help - feel free to document your kindleberry hack in our projects section if you think it will help others

-- Jake

I will gladly do that, It may take me a little while to get that far though ... my Pi is being a stubborn little critter and seems unwilling to accept any kind of internet connection at the moment.

long story short, it's all a bit like baby steps at the moment hahaha.

RomTownPi
n00b