Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:54 am

Postby samlambert99 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm building an RFID door system, where a user can scan a tag and it will lock/unlock an electromagnetic 12v door lock. The use for the PiOT relay board would be to allow me to control the 12v supply to the lock, with the other 3 relays allowing me to expand a couple of other additions to the system.

I haven't actually bought the board yet and before I do I need to know whether I can still wire other components to the Pi and if possible could I somehow have this and a breadboard connected to the Pi at any one time?

samlambert99
n00b

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Sounds like a fun project you've got planned there! Feel free to post some pics on our forums during/after build :)

As for your questions...

Our PiOT Relay board only uses the GPIO pins that get assigned to each relay, leaving all the other pins available for use.

I would suggest something like this - https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/br ... sion-board - This will allow you to use a standard 40pin ribbon cable to connect your Pi to the PiOT relay board, whilst giving you access to the other GPIO pins.

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby samlambert99 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:07 pm

Ah, fantastic! Thank you very much for the help (and the very quick response!), I will definitely look into this!

This isn't going to be the most impressive project - this is part of my Computer Science coursework at college, but I hope to expand the functionality afterwards and keep working on it :)

samlambert99
n00b