Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 am

Postby scottcordery » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi there,

I'm after a bit of information about wireless links between said car and a laptop

I'm building a robotic tracked vehicle that will hold a raspberry pi to remotely operate the vehicle. But I wont have line of sight of it at all and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on what path to take to operate it. I looked into radio but I pretty much have to have line of sight. Someone has suggested to used a mobile phone but unsure if there is a better way.

I need to be able to remotely connect to the pi from a laptop connected to the internet so I can receive video output and gps readings from the pi.

so the pi must be able to control the whole unit including driving from the laptop.

much thanks in advance

scottcordery
n00b

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:10 am

Sounds like using WiFi will be your best bet, what sort of range are you looking to be able to control the robot from?

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby BMS Doug » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am

Dave wrote:Sounds like using WiFi will be your best bet, what sort of range are you looking to be able to control the robot from?

I agree, if WiFi is available (or can be installed) in the cars operating environment that would probably be the best route.

BMS Doug

Doug.

Volunteer Moderator.

Postby scottcordery » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 pm

thank you for the replies,

I'm going to use wifi as a test platform to make sure all components function correctly.

but then I would like to push the range without having line of sight but I would need to have a video signal and control signal so that I can see where I'm going.

would you have any ideas on what route to go down after wifi

scottcordery
n00b