Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 am

Postby Kaputnik » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:02 pm

Hello!

Thanks for providing me with all the necessary parts for my little cluster project :)

The Modular Case together with 3 Spacers is excellent for the ClusterHAT with 4 Pi Zero's. The only modifications needed are a little hole to fit (and unintentionally support) the micro USB cable for the HAT and instead of using the Female/Female spacers delivered with the ClusterHAT i had to use Female/Male spacers of the same size (so that i can screw the Pi3 to the base of the case and then the HAT onto the Pi3).

BR Lorenz

Kaputnik
n00b

Attachments

3.jpg

3.jpg (94.69 KiB) Viewed 555 times

2.jpg

2.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 555 times

1.jpg

1.jpg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 555 times

Postby Jake » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:07 am

Nice! This looks great - thanks for sharing :D

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby Kaputnik » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 pm

No problem :)

It is a very fun little project.

I will have to modify it further, maybe this would be an idea for your team:

When the Cluster runs at full power, the case gets quite hot (since there are no real openings for cooling). I will have to figure out something to suck out the heat that builds up. Maybe i will modify the top of the case to fit a small fan. It would be great if you would sell modular case tops that can mount a fan that either sucks out or blows in fresh air (suck out would be the more efficient, because heated air rises and the dust that flies around above it). Of course i still would have to modify the baseplate to have openings so that fresh air can be sucked in somewhere.

If i got any results, new pictures will follow.

Kaputnik
n00b

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Interesting, the Pi's are good with passive cooling but I can see why the addition of 4 Zero's on top could cause things to heat up a bit :D

Sure, I'll have a look at fan plate for the case - we've got a driver board in development, just chasing our tails at the moment with finishing off project before the end of the year

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby Kaputnik » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Oh that would be awesome (and a guaranteed purchase on my side) :D

If you do make a top for the modular case that has a opening and some holes to mount a 40mm fan (like the Noctua NF-A4 x 10-FLX 5) that would be grand!

Looking forward to it very much :)

btw: in the meantime, while i made no progress on the cooling side, i got the whole setup rockin'.

The cluster runs in a Bridge/NAT hybrid mode - a bridge configured on the Pi3 connecting all of the Pi-Zero's together and then a NAT between the bridge (br0) and the network port of the Pi3 (eth0). It runs automated headless tests of various things. The Pi3 fetches tasks from a shared drive of my main computer and then gives these Tasks to the Zero's to chew on and in case they are all busy, the main Pi3 itself can also run up to 4 Tasks at a time, meaning i can run up to 8 automated tasks parallel (whereas on the original virtual desktops we used for automation we only had 2 very unstable Tasks parallel).

Heat still is a minor issues. If all Pi's are working their hardest, they do tend to start reducing CPU speed to cope with the increased temperature.

Overall I am very happy with it :)

Kaputnik
n00b