Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Postby TerryJC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi,

I am currently developing a project to re-instate the chimes in the Wimborne Model Town Minster. As well as ringing the bells, we would like to also play music in the model chancel, so I either have to use two Pis or somehow get two independent channels of audio from a single Pi Zero.

Q 1. Can this be done?

Q 2. If so, do the two adaptors map as two devices in /dev (or wherever).

Q 3. If possible I'd like to use piCore, rather than Raspbian. Do these devices need something that's only in Raspbian, or do they only need a compatible kernel?

TerryJC
Initiated

Terry

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi

1. Not sure to be honest - audio can be quite an intensive task - for the cost of purchasing an additional Pi I think this is the better route.

2. As above, single Pi per audio channel will uncomplicate things immensely.

3. Depends on the audio device being used. Raspian is the official distro, and compatible with the widest range of drivers in addition to being constantly updated and upraged. You may find that alternative distro's do not have the same compatibility.

If you want high quality audio, then you'll need to look into DAC's/AMP's etc. of which there are a rather large selection. Otherwise a simple USB sound adaptor will for do the job.

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby TerryJC » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:19 pm

Jake wrote:1. Not sure to be honest - audio can be quite an intensive task - for the cost of purchasing an additional Pi I think this is the better route.

2. As above, single Pi per audio channel will uncomplicate things immensely.

3. Depends on the audio device being used. Raspian is the official distro, and compatible with the widest range of drivers in addition to being constantly updated and upraged. You may find that alternative distro's do not have the same compatibility.

If you want high quality audio, then you'll need to look into DAC's/AMP's etc. of which there are a rather large selection. Otherwise a simple USB sound adaptor will for do the job.

Thanks.

I don't really need Hi-Fi for this. The bells especially will be 'good enough' with a Lo-Fi O/P and the music is for background 'scene setting' only. I've listened to both on the HDMI O/P and that's OK. I assume that the USB Adaptors are similar in quality if not better?

TerryJC
Initiated

Terry

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:26 pm

They're OK - no where near the sounds quality of a DAC, but better than the output from the composite port on the Pi.

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support