Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 am

Postby Discovery » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi,

I use a Pi running RuneAudio as a high-quality streamer in my hi-fi system (separate DAC, power amplifier and electrostatic speakers). The Pi has been a fascinating experiment, given the usual high cost of hi-fi components and I am keen to extend its capabilities. Power supply quality improvements can result in an audible improvement in sound and I am interested in opportunities to pursue this. I already have a custom 5v linear power supply for my Pi.

I have heard of a mod that bypassed the mini-USB power supply and used the GPIO pins to receive power, which resulted in an improvement in sound quality. The modifier then went further and removed the power regulator and soldered 3.3v and 1.8v connections directly to PP8 and PP9 on the Pi board, resulting in a further increase in sound quality (see http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/3x-power ... t4141.html).

This prompts several questions:

Is this an area that anyone here has explored before?
    Any comments or suggestions on the above?
    Would anyone be willing to help modify a Pi2 as above for me (I live in Cambridgeshire and am happy to travel)

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Discovery
n00b

Postby iqaudio » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi Trevor, drop me a PM to gordon@iqaudio.com and we can discuss further.

There are some details on the Raspberry Pi Foundation's HAT specification that discusses suitable protection circuits for powering the Pi from the GPIO pins. We do this in our AMP+ and DigiAMP+ products when powering from 19v.

Best regards,

Gordon@iqaudio.com

iqaudio
IQaudIO

Postby Discovery » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Gordon was generous to reply to me but he was assuming that I was attempting to back-power an IQAudio board, or similar. I'm not. I'm just trying to mod my Pi to handle power more elegantly.

If interested, please follow the link in my original post to see how someone has already achieved an improvement. Trouble is, he's not in the UK so unable to assist.

Thanks in advance.

Discovery
n00b