Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 am

Postby orbitcoms » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:25 am

Hi,
I followed the Adafruit application for setting up a pi as Wifi AP (and it works fine with the small USB wifi adaptor I have plugged in).

Now I want to use a different wifi adaptor with external antenna for longer range. I initially purchased one with the RT8192EU chipset but this looked troublesome to install on my Debian Jesse OS.

I searched and found some based on Ralink RT5370 and they appear to be compatible for my pi 3.

The hostapd conf file is currently set up as below. I commented out the driver (line 2) and it worked fine.

Do I need to change this line to specify a driver for the RT5370 or will the file be able to stay "as-is"?

Also, do you usually keep the country code set to US or can change (ie AU for Australia)? I am not sure what impact the country code setting has and whether it needs to be same as localisation setting in raspi-config?

Thanks...

sudo nano /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

interface=wlan1
#driver=rtl871xdrv
ssid=XXXX
country_code=US
hw_mode=g
channel=6
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=xxxx
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_group_rekey=86400
ieee80211n=1
wme_enabled=1

orbitcoms
n00b

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 am

It should work with the driver line left blank, however if it doesn't then it looks like the solution is to compile hostapd from source which gives you the latest drivers - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&p=533206

I've always changed the country code to my locale, not entirely sure what it does though!

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support