Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 am

Postby aolbrechts » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:46 am

Hello,

I'm quite new to the π, but I'm developing a new digital signage project and I'm looking for some answers on 2-3 topics.

First one : is there a way to simply trigger a local script (stored on the π) from a remote web server ?
One of the goals is to click a button on the web admin to launch a script on the π to rsync a folder (from web to local)

Thanks for your precious advice !
Antoine

aolbrechts
n00b

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 pm

You should be able to, yes.

If you are using PHP then take a look at the question asked here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1973 ... t-from-php

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby aolbrechts » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello Dave

Thanks for the info. The link is very interesting (I'm bookmarking it) but it seems to describe the operation on a local PHP server.
My goal here would be to do this from a remote web server.

Antoine

aolbrechts
n00b

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Oh so the web server is on a different machine that has the python scripts? Hmmm....

Could you not just use the Pi that has the scripts on it as a webserver?

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby aolbrechts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:53 am

The π is intended to be in a store on a light internet access so I want it to be independent if the internet access is down.

The idea is to have a PHP app on a remote web server with a dashboard where the client can log in and manage content (text, images, videos) on the server.

When he edits the slideshow playlist, he can "push" the data on the π
Actually, the "push" operation would be launching a script on the π that syncs a local folder on the π with a folder on the web server.

That way, there is always offline content so even if Internet goes down in the store, there always is something displayed on the screen attached to the π

Actually, there a different digital signage apps that exist for π but I haven't found one that exactly fits my needs so I'm building one from scratch. I have the ideas but I'm searching for some technical stuff to build up the whole thing ;-)

aolbrechts
n00b