Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 am

Postby DavidA » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:59 am

Hi

I want to build a home server using a Pi 2. There are lots of articles on the web for how to do this. Can you particularly recommend any article?

Best regards

David

DavidA
n00b

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi David,

Home server is quite a broad definition :D

Do you have a more specific application in mind? What are you using it for exactly?

That should narrow down the best guide, or we might be able to help you here!

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby DavidA » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Jake

I'm going to use the Pi primarily as a home server so will use Raspbian Jessie. I have a NOOBS SD-Card and am intending to reformat it with a plain, Raspbian image. Is that a good plan?

If, later, I want to experiment with a home media centre, can I do that with Raspbian?

Thanks in advance

David

DavidA
n00b

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi David,

Is there any particular reason you want to install a plain version of Raspian?

The image provided on NOOBS is exactly the same, however you have the added benefit of a.) being able to recover the image if something goes wrong, and b.) installing multiple operating systems on the same SD card (such as OpenELEC for media applications)

It's very easy to change OS using NOOBs - otherwise you'll need to format every time

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Postby DavidA » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi Jake

I have been reading an excellent series of articles here: https://melgrubb.wordpress.com/2014/08/01/raspberry-pi-home-server-part-1-meet-the-raspberry-pi/

Mel writes in part 1:

I’d recommend getting a plain, Raspbian image from the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s download page, and writing it directly to the card using a program like Win32 Disk Imager. It will boot a little faster [than NOOBS] because there’s no pause for the recovery mode that you’re probably not going to use anyway, and the resulting SD card’s layout will be much simpler, with fewer partitions.

Do you have any comments about this?

If I do go the NOOBS route, can I still configure the system to boot straight into Raspbian?

Best regards

David

DavidA
n00b

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:49 am

NOOBS is just a easier way to install an operating system. You simply copy the files to your SD card, boot it up, select the OS you want to install and away you go.

Without NOOBS, you have to use (as mentioned) a specific bit of software to burn the OS image to the SD card.

So up to you really, if you are happy burning the OS straight to the SD card then go for it!

Dave
ModMyPi

Postby Jake » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:56 am

Whilst there is a brief pause during initial boot (for the recovery mode), I think the trade-off is worth the added functionality. It's essentially like a BIOS pause - when you boot a regular PC and it says "press F8 to enter setup" - it's about that long and can be ignored, unless you want to enter recovery mode of course.

If you go the NOOBs route the Pi will still boot straight into Raspian, the same as a plain Raspian image.

Of course, this is all user preference, and they're ultimately the same thing. NOOBs just add's a bit of a safety net, and the ability to dual boot into a media OS if you require it.

Jake
ModMyPi

Postby BMS Doug » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:13 pm

There are potential security drawbacks to using NOOBS if you are exposing your Pi to the internet.

BMS Doug

Doug.

Volunteer Moderator.

Postby incolore » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 pm

DavidA wrote:I want to build a home server using a Pi 2.

Hello,

You may have already found a suitable project (or abandoned the idea ...), but the Open Media Vault project is a very good place to start. Images are available for RPi, as well as x86 hardware. You can start with simple file sharing and extend to almost anything.

The community is very responsive and tolerant of newcomers, with an active forum.

incolore
n00b

--
Nick

Postby donaldbmcintosh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Just saw your post... this is definitely possible and easy to do. Coincidentally, I just wrote a blog about it.

https://www.donaldmcintosh.net/blog/homehostpi

donaldbmcintosh
n00b