Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Postby ianpaulstone » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi There,

I'm a new user about to embark on a project and am wondering if anyone can help me. I'd like to build a Pi Touchscreen Jukebox.

My requirements are as such:

The Jukebox boots from the start up but is easily switchable to a web browser / iPlayer / You Tube etc
It has touchscreen capability with an onscreen keyboard
Music is stored on a local hard drive (320gb)
The jukebox can be switched to BBC iPlayer and used as a web browser too
It should have bluetooth and wireless connectivity
You can load tracks to the hard drive with USB access.
A wireless keyboard and mouse are connected for web browsing

The first question I need advice on is 'is this possible to make?'

If it is possible to make I'm thinking that i need the following main things for it to work...

1) Pi and Touchscreen (and associated bits)
2) Sound card
3) Hard Drive
4) Powered USB Hub

Am I correct in this assumption????

Is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction, in terms of what I need to get and which parts and programs are best to use for the project?

Many many thanks!

Ian

ianpaulstone
Initiated

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi Ian,

Do you know what software you want to use for the dual function e.g. music jukebox + web-browser/iplayer. Kodi is probably a good bet - http://kodi.tv/about/ - but let me know if you're using a different OS.

But yes, it's very do-able.

A few things to think about:

I'm not sure about the touchscreen support on Kodi. You will need to research this.

Sound card choice is important - this is a very good one we sell which has support for Kodi - http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/bre ... udio-card/

Hard Drive - You'll need to run this off a powered hub

Powered USB Hub - http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/acc ... plug-5v-3a - this is a good one and will support most HDD's with the 3A PSU + you can power the Pi from it too.

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby ianpaulstone » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi Jake

The software I was thinking of using was this:

http://mark-me.github.io/Pi-Jukebox/about.html

I believe that it works with a touchscreen interface...

The primary function of the unit will be a jukebox but with the web browsing and playing capability way down in second and third. I will want to be able to flick between applications but not make it too easy to do so (for when I host parties and the like) - therefore a media hub of sorts won't be required.

Thanks for the advice on a sound card. I think I'm going to buy that hub you have that doesn't have a box around it - I think this is the one that will go into the finalised unit.

Two other ideas I've had are to add a cd-rom for ripping straight to the hard drive as well as a PIR sensor so that the jukebox awakes when people enter the room... how possible do you think that would be to integrate into the unit as well?

many many thanks once again,

Ian

ianpaulstone
Initiated

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi Ian,

It looks like it works with Adafruit's touchscreen interface - this is accessed over GPIO, this is slightly different from the Raspberry Pi touchscreen which utilises the DSI port on the Pi board itself. The software you want to use however runs off of Raspian, so as long as you have the latest up to date version it will function.

cd-rom drives are a bit hit and miss with the Pi, you need to get one that's compatible. They're also quite juicy, so you'd need to run it off a powered UBS hub (assuming you're using a USB based cd-rom drive?). You'll need to research ripping from a cd to your HDD, it's not something I'm clued up on

PIR sensor, shouldn't be too hard to do, we've got a guide here - http://www.modmypi.com/blog/raspberry-p ... -detection - but you would need to rewrite the code to do whatever you need it to do :D

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Postby ianpaulstone » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:45 pm

16422399_10154236395591517_8328972355765770917_o.jpg

16422399_10154236395591517_8328972355765770917_o.jpg (120.54 KiB) Viewed 3666 times

20170206_195834_resized_1.jpg

20170206_195834_resized_1.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 3666 times

20170206_195822_resized_1.jpg

20170206_195822_resized_1.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 3666 times

Ok so it's been a while since I last posted anything here however I thought you might like to look at what I've come up with...

My first attempt a year ago got built into a large Rowe Ami old jukebox case. Because I'd bought the Waveshare revision A touchscreen barely anything worked with it so I ended up putting a massive playlist into VLC player on an Ubuntu build so I could use the search bar to type in and select songs from there. This one is on sale at the moment because I've made myself something new!

My new one I built into a canvas picture frame and it runs volumio on it. This time around I spent the extra tenner on the official Pi touchscreen and it works a dream! Very happy with the results... :-) So thank you for your help ModMyPi and in particular Jake a year ago! Hope you like my work!

ianpaulstone
Initiated

Postby Jake » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 am

Hi Ian,

These all look great!

So which sound-card did you got for in the end, and did you look at integrating a CD-ROM drive?

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Postby ianpaulstone » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Jake,

In the end I just used one of your white £4 usb sound cards but split and resoldered the audio jack cable onto the external phono ports. It plugs to my surround sound system now.

As for the case, I stretched a self designed canvas around it that I got a local printer to run off for me. I designed the canvas on photoshop (I dabble in customised pop art too you see...)

For the cd drive, well I've got a spare usb one at home but I don't have the knowledge as to how to integrate it so that it plays or writes to a hard drive on volumio. For the meantime I'm gonna have to content myself writing new music from my pc to the hard drive using my ssh client!

If only I'd kept programming all those years ago from my zx spectrum and not taken a 30 year hiatus studying drama and becoming a drama teacher! Lol

Doesn't mean to say that any advice would go amiss.... and the big jukebox is currently for sale as well!

Thanks Jake!

Ian

ianpaulstone
Initiated

Postby dialatech » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 pm

This that screen in the Canvas Touchscreen?

If so how did you get it working with Volumio? It looks like the screen i have just bought i just cannot get the touch element working with Volumio?

Any help would be great?

dialatech
n00b

Postby ianpaulstone » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi There,

I used the pi touchscreen and housed it in a stretched canvas frame using some laser cut mdf.

The touchscreen is the official Pi one, to get it working with volumio you have to install the plug in from the GUI after you've set up the pi and screen together and once the initial web set up is completed. Instructions for this are in the following web page:

https://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-displa ... ic-player/

There is code available for making the onscreen keyboard work, however don't use the code example on the website above. Rather, follow the initial steps but take the coding from the bottom of this webpage instead:

https://volumio.org/forum/virtual-keybo ... 95-10.html

Hope this helps,

Ian

ianpaulstone
Initiated