Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:28 am

Postby playercharacter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Hello,

As I collect boards, modules and other electrical gubbins for future projects I obviously need to be aware of power constraints so nothing explodes. I am also googling this topic, just casting my net wide.

I'm aware of voltage = current x resistance and how that applies in series and parallel circuits aswell as the limit of 5v for the RPi 3. I'm not entirely sure yet on the maximum output a Pi can handle. Let alone if additional UPS/batteries are added to the mix.
What other equations or considerations does a electrical circuit noob need to know in order to correctly design a project?

Thanks for your time.

playercharacter
n00b

We can rebuild him! We have the technology!

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 am

Ok well for starters, whilst the Raspberry Pi can output 5v, the GPIO pins are only rated at 3.3v, so you must not input 5v to any of them.

There's a good read on maximum current draw for the Pi 3 here as well - https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... imitations - I don't think anything has been officially documented from the Pi Foundation so I believe these numbers are based on component specification and user tests.

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support