Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Postby wesdunkin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:07 am

LCD Control Board

First I am happy I found a form for the pi. I have had a Raspberry Pi B+ for years and never really done much with it, only ever played Nintendo on it actually. Now I have found a practical use for it. I am trying to put together a calendar to hang in my office that has a list of upcoming meeting, weather, news and all that jazz. So far I have got most of it figured out. I am using an old lcd from a broken laptop, and I got a LCD control board, I have figured out how I am going to mount everything.

My biggest concern is how to get power to my Pi. I want to run just one power supply to the calendar. However the issue I am facing is that the power brick for the lcd control board is pretty large. I can mount it inside the case, but I would prefer to only run one power cord up the wall, and space inside the case is an issue.

My question is, is there a way to get power from the control board to my pi?

I also have a few smaller questions if anyone can help out id appreciate it.

I just got a PIR sensor, is there a way to use it to “wake” the lcd screen up when it blacks out. I do want it to black out to save some power if im not in the room, this will also make the boss happy.

Also is there a way to make a power off button that I can mount on the outside of the case?

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Wes

wesdunkin
n00b

Attachments

IMG_4305.JPG

board 4

IMG_4305.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 282 times

IMG_4304.JPG

board 3

IMG_4304.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 282 times

IMG_4301.JPG

LCD board

IMG_4301.JPG (3.46 MiB) Viewed 282 times

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:33 am

Hi,

Tbh, probably not. The Pi requires quick a large current for stability. IMHO, just run a separate PSU, it will save you a headache.

For the sake of exploration, what's the voltage of that driver board?

I just got a PIR sensor, is there a way to use it to “wake” the lcd screen up when it blacks out. I do want it to black out to save some power if im not in the room, this will also make the boss happy.

Probably :)

Are you using Raspian, and setting up a Python script for the project, or something else?

Also is there a way to make a power off button that I can mount on the outside of the case?

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ac ... plug-5v-2a

^^ Two birds one stone? You would need to soft-shutdown ("sudo halt" or similar) the Pi before switching off the power switch.

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby BMS Doug » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Jake wrote:Hi,

Tbh, probably not. The Pi requires quick a large current for stability. IMHO, just run a separate PSU, it will save you a headache.

For the sake of exploration, what's the voltage of that driver board?

Voltage and current rating of the power brick output, If you are lucky then the power brick might have enough spare capacity to run the pi (preferably through a DC-DC converter such as a 5V 3A UBEC).

Specifications of driver board and power brick needed.

BMS Doug

Doug.

Volunteer Moderator.