Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 pm

Postby serek » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Hello,

I thought this may be worth investigating. It is not very easy to source parts required to build AIS receiver (for tracking ships). Maybe ModMyPi could consider stocking the following:

* 162 MHz filter
* VHF/AIS antenna

Obviously you also need receiver itself and cabling, but good news here - you already stock them! FlightAware Pro Stick (orange, non-filtered) should do the job. I am currently using regular "no-name" DVB stick in my PoC and it works surprisingly well - Pro Stick should take it to the next level. Finally cable you stock for ADS-B should be just renamed to ADS-B/AIS :)

I am currently awaiting delivery of the 162MHz filter, so after testing it I will be happy to privately share details of where I got it (assuming it works well). As for VHF/AIS antenna, I am still looking as none of the antennas I found so far fit in my current budget (after combining antenna cost and shipping). For now I am using DIY in my PoC and I plan to build next iteration of DIY for my first "production" system, but if ModMyPi stocked antennas with reasonable shipping costs, I will be first in a queue to purchase it. Again I can share privately supplier that have them at reasonable price (before shipping from far away gets applied).

Regards,
Sergiusz

serek
n00b

Postby serek » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm

PS. I am planning to post to Project forum in a while about building AIS station. I am just fishing coding software that connects all the existing bits and pieces together to provide the feel of "almost like" running ADS-B receiver - yes, AIS receiving world is far far behind what's available for ADS-B!

Regards,
Sergiusz

serek
n00b

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Sergiusz,

Sounds like a very specific project albeit a cool one :D

I've no experience of VHF/AIS, so your thoughts on a reliable manufacturer for antenna's for use in this area would be appreciated?

-- Jake

Jake
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support