Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Postby pkarlsen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Hello, I recently purchased my first raspberry pi, and I am wondering if it might be defective. Here is my order info:

Order ID: #197714
Supreme Kit Including Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
- Includes Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi 3 B **RPI-0010**
- Raspberry Pi Case: Raspberry Pi Foundation
- Select Case Colour: Official Black and Grey Case **MMP-0098**
- Micro SD Card Size: 32GB Sandisk w/ Official Adaptor (Class 10) **MMP-0899**
- Power Supply Select: Black Universal Official 5V 2.5A - UK/EU/US/AUS **MMP-0095**
- Video Cable Select: HDMI - Black - 2m **CAB-0032**
- USB Cable Select: Noodle - Black - 2m **CAB-0011**
- RJ45 Cable Select: Black - 2m **CAB-0001**
- Input Device Select: Wireless - Full Size Keyboard & Mouse Combo **MMP-0236**

Operating system: Raspbian Jessie Pixel from NOOBS

Without installing anything else except system updates and Kodi, the raspberry pi is idling at a temperature of around 64C, with an ambient temperature of approximately 25C and using ~10% CPU, while enclosed in the Raspberry Pi Foundation case. When navigating menus in Kodi (not watching any media!) The temperature jumps to 80-85C and the temperature warning icon appears in the upper right corner of the screen. Removing the top lid of the case only drops the temperature by a few degrees.
Running stuff like Netflix (from the Cromium browser) and Kodi also gives a sluggish performance in general.
Using the Chromium browser with media intensive pages also causes the temperature to jump to around 70C.

Is this normal? I had a search around the web to find typical temperatures of Raspberry Pi's and from what I could find, most people report idling temperatures of around 40-50C.

Finally, I noticed a distinct smell like burnt electronics or something like that from the Raspberry pi as soon as I took it out of the packaging. Don't know if this is significant.

Please help, I bought this Raspberry pi to use as a media center among other things, but at the moment I am unable to watch any video content without significant lag.

pkarlsen
n00b

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:47 am

Does sound like something isn't quite right there, but before we mark the Pi as faulty, could I ask you to format the SD card and install the latest version of Rasbian via NOOBs please.

Setup guide - http://s.modmypi.com/noobs
Latest NOOBs- https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

If possible, could you also try the following:

- Different SD card
- Different power supply

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby pkarlsen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 am

Thank you for the quick reply.

I already tried formatting the SD card and reinstalling NOOBS and Raspbian, but I will try a different power supply and SD card just to be sure.

pkarlsen
n00b

Postby pkarlsen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32 pm

I have now tested with another power supply and sd card, as well as reinstalling NOOBS and raspbian. The temperature of the raspberry pi is idling around 69C. I can't think of anything else to try. It seems to me like it is defective somehow.

pkarlsen
n00b

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 am

pkarlsen wrote:I have now tested with another power supply and sd card, as well as reinstalling NOOBS and raspbian. The temperature of the raspberry pi is idling around 69C. I can't think of anything else to try. It seems to me like it is defective somehow.

Ok, thank you for trying that. I'll get sales to contact you and arrange a return. We'll get the unit back for testing and either repair or replace if found faulty.

Dave
ModMyPi

Postby Josuerinho » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:24 pm

I am having exactly the same problem pkarlsen said and this is the only forum I found somebody talking about it. Did you find any solution? Because it looks impossible to me that just watching ororo.tv with my raspberry pi 3 with noobs installed, as explained in the official website, temperature rises until 70 degrees (centigrades). I also tryed different SDs and chargers and nothing worked out...

Josuerinho
n00b

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 am

Josuerinho wrote:I am having exactly the same problem pkarlsen said and this is the only forum I found somebody talking about it. Did you find any solution? Because it looks impossible to me that just watching ororo.tv with my raspberry pi 3 with noobs installed, as explained in the official website, temperature rises until 70 degrees (centigrades). I also tryed different SDs and chargers and nothing worked out...

Unfortunately not, I think it's just a faulty SoC.

If you purchased the unit from us, please post your order ID and I will have our sales team contact you to arrange a return.

Dave
ModMyPi