Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Postby serek » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Hello,

I have received my order today and my new FlightAware Pro Stick seems to be faulty.

It is my second Pro Stick (and 3rd DVB stick in general), so I am quite familiar with how to set these up on Raspberry Pi to receive what I'm interested in (this particular one was bought for AIS).

Order ID: 217245

Version of Raspberry Pi: it runs (or in fact doesn't really) on Pi 3

Part Code/Part Name: MMP.0628 (FlightAware Pro stick - orange)

Fault:

Pro Stick does initially get recognized as DVB stick despite blacklist installed by dump1090-fa installation. Few seconds later it starts throwing errors in syslog/dmesg. This shortly results in device "refusal" and re-initialization, after which same process repeats, but now without the few seconds delay as before - see log-1.txt files attached.

Troubleshooting Completed:

I have tried to manually blacklist all RTL-related module, which allows dump1090 to momentarily "attach" to Pro Stick. This however leads to another set of error message followed by "refusal" of the offending USB device from kernel - see log-2.txt attached.

Device misbehaves similarly when connected to regular laptop running Ubuntu - see log-3.txt

Refund or Replacement?

Replacement, please. Please however let me know before shipping as if possible I may want to order something small, so the USB stick doesn't get posted on its own...

Should you have any further questions please let me know.

Thank you!
Regards,
Sergiusz

serek
n00b

Attachments

log-3.txt

initial behaviour

(20.04 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

log-2.txt

after blacklisting all RTL-related modules

(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

log-1.txt

Ubuntu laptop

(17.53 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 am

Thank you for the detailed post, it's much appreciated!

It does indeed seem like the Pro stick is faulty, so I'm happy to issue a replacement.

If you would like to place an order for additional item, please do so, and after the order has gone though, please email our sales department with a link to this forum post requesting the replacement as well - sales@modmypi.com

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby serek » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for quick reply.

I have been browsing ModMyPi shop for a while, but there is nothing I can find that would be of an immediate need. Please just process the shipping of replacement Pro Stick on its own.

Thank you!
Regards,
Sergiusz

serek
n00b

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 am

serek wrote:Hi Dave,

Many thanks for quick reply.

I have been browsing ModMyPi shop for a while, but there is nothing I can find that would be of an immediate need. Please just process the shipping of replacement Pro Stick on its own.

Thank you!
Regards,
Sergiusz

Not a problem, I will get sales to contact you to arrange the replacement.

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support