Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Postby ngwstevens » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:08 am

Hi,

I bought a PIR Infrared Motion Sensor (HC-SR501) which doesn't appear to be working. My order ID is 213842 . I am new to the Raspberry Pi so initially thought it was the code that I had written on Python, but after testing the sensor with a battery pack and multimeter I am sure that it is faulty as there is no output voltage generated when there is motion.

Are you able to organise a replacement to be sent to me please?

Many thanks for your help.

Nick

ngwstevens
n00b

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am

Hi Nick,

Could you confirm that you have wired the sensor up to 5v and not 3v3 (the sensor needs at least 4.5v to work) and have you had a look at our tutorial here - https://www.modmypi.com/blog/raspberry- ... -detection

Have you also tried adjusting the sensitivity and delay? This is done by turning the two little potentiometers on the back of the sensor. I would suggest setting both the pots to their middle position.

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby ngwstevens » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply. I can confirm that I have tried wiring it up to a 5v supply. I tried using both 5v GPIO pins on the Raspberry Pi and can also confirm that the battery pack was supplying at least 5v. I tried setting the potentiometers to a number of different positions, but with no luck.

I came across that tutorial when looking for ways of testing the sensor. It was useful, but unfortunately I'm still not getting any output from the sensor.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
Nick

ngwstevens
n00b

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks for confirming that. It does sounds like the sensor is faulty I'm afraid.

I will have sales contact you to arrange a replacement.

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby ngwstevens » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Many thanks for your help

ngwstevens
n00b