Advanced search FAQ Register Login

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:43 am

Postby philha » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi details as follows:
Order ID 191302, Pi 3 Model B

So I bought this board last April, and it has worked well until now - I even wrote a favourable review! However, I recently had to rebuild the Pi with a new SD card because of damage to the first one. Now the GSM board is giving me an error. On Sakis it reports "Modem responded "ERROR" while checking for PIN." Trying to send AT commands through Python I simply get ERROR as a response. The SIM card didn't have an PIN enabled when used originally, so this is a bit puzzling.

I have put the SIM in an old phone and it works fine - no suggestion of error or requirement for a PIN. I bought a new SIM, because this seemed to sort out a problem someone else had with this board. This didn't work - the same error result comes up with the new SIM. So I'm struggling here and would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Phil

philha
n00b

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:33 am

This isn't the first time this has been reported - technical-support/itead-raspberry-pi-gsm-board-sim800-pin-t854.html - However a fix wasn't found, only that using a different SIM worked fine.

I wonder if the error message you receive isn't actually the problem. Could you install minicom:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install minicom

Then load the program with the following command:

minicom -b 9600 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0

If you could then enter the following:

AT+CPIN?

If the SIM card does indeed have a PIN you will get the following response:

+CPIN: SIM PIN

If the SIM doesn't have a PIN then you will get this response:

+CPIN: READY

To quit minicom, press CTRL+A followed by X

If the SIM doesn't have a pin then I think that error message as a red herring. Have you tried removing the SIM card and cleaning the contacts on both the SIM and the SIM Socket?

Dave
ModMyPi

Forum Administrator & Technical Support

Postby philha » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks for this - the response from AT+CPIN? with minicom is ERROR - as with Python. I have cleaned contacts and used different SIM cards but with the same response. So it would seem that the issue is not related to the SIM pin? Is this a more general communication issue between the Pi and the GSM board?

Cheers

Phil

philha
n00b

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

philha wrote:Thanks for this - the response from AT+CPIN? with minicom is ERROR - as with Python. I have cleaned contacts and used different SIM cards but with the same response. So it would seem that the issue is not related to the SIM pin? Is this a more general communication issue between the Pi and the GSM board?

Cheers

Phil

Hmm ok within minicom if you simply type "at" (please don't copy and paste) you should receive an OK response. If you don't then there is an error in communication between the Pi and the GSM board.

If you have recently upgraded the OS, I wonder if the serial port has lost its proper configuration. Do you maybe have another serial device you can use to test the serial port on the Pi?

Dave
ModMyPi

Postby philha » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Typing AT in minicom gives the response OK, which presumably means that there is communication between PI and the board.

I've been trying a few other AT test commands from the SIM800 Series AT Command Manual - most of them respond ERROR, but one didn't:
AT
OK

AT+CIPPING=?
+CIPPING: (1-100),(0-1024),(1-600),(1-255)
OK

This must mean that I'm able to talk to the GSM board, so why is it only responding positively to some AT commands?

Others that get a response are AT+G** commands requesting IDs etc. Presumably these settings are held on an EPROM or similar on the board?

Also AT+CPIN=? gets an OK response, while AT+CPIN? still gets an ERROR response.

Cheers

Phil

philha
n00b

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm

All sounds a bit odd!

I think the best thing to do would be get the unit back for testing against our known working setup to see if we can identify the problem. I can then get a replacement issued if we experience the same issues.

I'll get sales to arrange the return now for you

Dave
ModMyPi

Postby philha » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks. Hope you can make sense of it!

philha
n00b

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Phil,

I've just tested the returned GSM unit and I'm unable to replicate your issue.

I have successfully used sakis3g to connect to a gsm network. Also running the AT commands via minicom as previously mentioned have all worked fine, and using ATD<number> to dial my mobile worked fine as well.

In conclusion I'm struggling to find an issue with the board :?

Could you elaborate on "I recently had to rebuild the Pi with a new SD card because of damage to the first one" was there damage to the Raspberry Pi as well?

Not sure how you would like to proceed from here... I can either send the unit back to you, issue a refund, or send a replacement. The problem is I'm not sure a replacement in this case will solve the issue.

Dave
ModMyPi