PI2B print server Noob question

None of the above? Put it here! Boop!
SFF EOL
n00b

PI2B print server Noob question

Post by SFF EOL » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 am

OK, for my first project I want to build a Pi Zero print server to make my old but completely functional Samasung Lazer printer WiFi. I also have a Pi2B+. I think the answer is use the Pi2 but I mention the Zero just so I can be told it isn’t a good idea- it is the original Zero model.

I understand that the software side is well documented so I am more concerned with constructing something that is a discrete box rather than a collection of cables.

My idea is that I use one of these;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

A pass-through mains socket with two USB2 2.1A sockets. That should power the printer via the mains and supply enough 5V for the Pi2B/Zero ? I will use shrink wrap to bind the two cable into one ‘sort of cable’- that shouldn’t be a problem I think as they are both just supplying power. The Pi supply will just be a USB cable to micro USB and the Pi2 has 4 USB sockets so I can just use a Netgear N dongle I have to hand for WiFi? (it’s half decent) and still run a USB2 to the printer. The both Pi are in cases so I would just warm glue gun then to the printer I think.

Is that making sense or am I missing something?