RasPi 3b+ no wifi

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
thisisstupid
n00b

RasPi 3b+ no wifi

Post by thisisstupid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Order ID: 226591
Product Name: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ & 16GB MicroSD Bundle - Includes Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ **MMP-1153** - Micro SD Card: 16GB Sandisk w/ Official Adaptor (Class 10) **SAM-0002**
Model: TRPLUSKIT-A

I bought 4 on one the wifi doesn't work.
shutdown restored original image, no wifi
shutdown tried different power supply, no wifi
shutdown tried different sd card, that boots and connects to wifi on one of the other pi's, no wifi
shutdown tried different usb lead, no wifi
shutdown plugged in usb wifi adaptor, connected directly to wifi.

I'm pretty sure the wifi chip on one pi is dead.

thankyou for forcing me to sign up to a forum

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: RasPi 3b+ no wifi

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm really sorry about that!

Thank you for the detailed troubleshooting you have performed, this greatly speeds up the replacement process.

It does indeed sound like the Pi is faulty.

I will have a return for replacement arranged for you now.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

thisisstupid
n00b

Post by thisisstupid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:13 pm

I've received an email from Hermes asking me to print the attached label for return, but there is no attached label :?

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:37 pm

thisisstupid wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:13 pm
I've received an email from Hermes asking me to print the attached label for return, but there is no attached label :?
How strange? An email has been sent to from our sales team with the shipping label attached. Hopefully that one will come through!

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Your return has been received, tested and found faulty.

A replacement will be shipped out today for you

thisisstupid
n00b

Post by thisisstupid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm

cheers Dave

thisisstupid
n00b

Post by thisisstupid » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:33 pm

The replacement Pi arrived today have you guys sent the same faulty unit back to me? if not did you test the replacement because its doing exactly the same as the last one

installed os to sd card, booted pi no wifi. rebooted pi no wifi, usb dongle and its connected to wifi :evil:

Jake
ModMyPi

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 am

Hi,

No way! I'm really sorry for that, I can confirm it's definitely a different unit, we've actually got your original one here as we use the "broken WiFi" Pi's for various testing bits and pieces.

But, the replacement would not have been tested as the assumption is that stuff should work straight out of the factory. . . :roll:

I have just grabbed another unit off the shelf and tested the WiFi is working, so I'll get that shipped out today, and have another return raised for the replacement.

Really sorry for this. It's most unusual.

-- Jake

thisisstupid
n00b

Post by thisisstupid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:28 pm

OK so the new pi arrived, micro sd in boot no wifi, reset memory card with fresh os and copied my wpa_supplicant.conf & ssh files to boot as normal powered up the pi and no wifi.
I know you tested it so tried using the full raspian image instead of the lite version copied wpa_supplicant.conf & ssh files to boot started the pi and it connected directly to wifi.
I removed the sd card and wrote the lite image to it again and theres no wifi, connected it via ethernet lead and did apt-get update, upgrade etc rebooted no wifi then tried rpi-update rebooted no wifi
found this page: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=138137
I followed the suggestions, The files brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt and brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin are present and powersave is set to off rebooted still no wifi. used rpi-config to manually set the wifi settings and rebooted no success.
I'm at a complete loss now the really confusing thing is 3 of the original 3b's that arrived are all running the same version of raspian stretch lite I've even gone back to the raspberry pi website and re-downloaded the image incase it somehow became corrupt but thats made no difference.

I'm off to the shop in a minute so will pop the other one back in the post

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm

This is very strange indeed! The fact the WiFi works with the full version of Rasbian would indicate that its a software issue in Rasbian Lite.

Have you taken the SD card out of a Pi3B+ that has working WiFi and tried it?