Rotate touchscreen

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
MDanbury
Initiated

Rotate touchscreen

Post by MDanbury » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Having assembled my brand new pi, touchscreen and pimoroni frame I find the display is upside down. A bit of research indicates that I need to add a line to the config.txt file that says lcd_rotate=2. However, I do not have write permission to this file so can't make the changes. How do you fix the issue, step by step instructions would be good as I'm a novice with NO programming background! Please do not assume that I know anything!!!!!

On a related point is it possible to have the touch screen and my normal HDMI computer screen operation at the same time?

Regards

Mike

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Rotate touchscreen

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:46 am

Hi Mike,

Start by turning your raspberry pi on.
Once it has finished booting, you'll need to open up a terminal -
terminal.jpg
terminal.jpg (2.08 KiB) Viewed 247 times
In the terminal window type:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
At the bottom of the file, add the line:

Code: Select all

lcd_rotate=2
Press Ctrl+X, then Y, then Enter (Exit and Save)

You should have write permissions on the file if you use sudo.

As for outputting on both touch screen and HDMI, I'm not sure. I'll have to look into it.

EDIT: Check this link out regarding dual display, under the "Dual display usage" section - https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-ea ... i-display/
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

MDanbury
Initiated

Post by MDanbury » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks screen is now the right way up.

Thanks for the link to the info on the touchscreen as I now know how to switch between HDMI and the touchscreen (with my eyesight its to small to do development on). Running two screens according to the info on the link seems to be application dependent. My ideal scenario would be for the touchscreen to replicate just one window, ie my application that's on the HDMI screen. So any ideas on how to acgieve that gratefully received.

I've used the you tube workshop kit tutorials and successfully modified one of the programs so have done my first bit of "programming", being old fashioned its a shame you can't get the info in printed form as that would have been a whole lot quicker!

Thanks for your help.

Mike

danngrant
n00b

Post by danngrant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Thank you!! Just wanted to post a thank you, this solved my issue also.