New and burnt out already.

Come say hi and tell us a little about yourself!
imprimis
n00b

New and burnt out already.

Post by imprimis » Sat May 05, 2018 4:20 am

Hi, well I'd like to say I was having a blast but unfortunately things haven't been going well for me at all.
I had been eyeing up getting into the Raspberry pi for some time, but I was hesitant as I tend to have a lot of bad luck.
I finally bit the bullet and made the plunge, a 33 quid computer? what could go wrong?
So anyway a few hundred pounds later :roll: I have bought a Raspberry Pi 3B+, official power supply, sandisk sd cards, an ssd drive and an enclosure, a big bunch of wires, a Pi zero for pottering about with, arcade joystick encoder and controls, coin selector, multimeter, all kinds of bits and bobs racking up over 300 quid so far to try and just get my feet off the ground.
I paid for a £35 USB hub thinking if I get the most powerful one on the store I'd be safe, not so, I get the yellow lightning bolt.
I've got wires I can't use from the store because they underpower the Pi, a Flirc case that seems to block my wifi and feels warmer than a bare Pi, a Pi zero I can't use because I can't solder so I can't call that bad luck so much my inability, im surrounded by bits and pieces which I can't seem to use because as soon as I try I run into problems, followed tons of video guides and read countless threads to no avail.
Oh and one unhappy wife, spent all this money on screens I cant use, Pi's that have had numerous SD cards run through them, extensions which just dont seem to play nicely and I just don't know what to do, just slung my new multimeter in the bin because that was faulty (ebay rubbish), soldering iron im too afraid to use, Pi Zero I can't use, 2.8" screen I cant use because if I slot it on the GPIO pins of the Pi 3 it just gives me the yellow lightning bolt, ugh.
I mean I even asked before buying the hub if it would run the things I listed and I was assure it would (other than the coin selector) the harddrive I can't use because the enclosure tries to power the Pi after I switch the Pi off so it doesn't shut down properly (Y cable, one into the hub, one into the pi) and wont boot up if I have the harddrive on because it doesn't read from the drive properly and treats it as a power source and the extension leads with switches just drain the power so they are beyond pointless.
I will persevere, I have no choice, ive spent more than I intended by a large margin, all I wanted to do was make a little arcade set up that wasn't premade for me like the Picade and at the same time tinker about and learn things, I dread to think what happens next with each time I try to run the Pi.
At best all I can seem to get going without fail is just a bare Pi 3B+ with official power supply into a 7 inch screen, as soon as I try anything beyond the bare basics its just problem after problem.
:(
Whinge over, I needed to just get it off my chest, I know there are thousands upon thousands of people who manage to get by just fine so I can only put it down to my bad luck, I paid that bit extra to get the better recommended stuff and alas, now I have a bunch of things that don't work together.
Anyway if you sat through my big moan and made it this far, sorry, I just feel so deflated by my experience, I haven't even stuck an LED in a breadboard yet and I dare not to. :lol:
- Imp