screen switches on waveshare screens

Want to make your Pi beautiful? Let's give it a makeover!
yokels2
n00b

screen switches on waveshare screens

Post by yokels2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 pm

I have the 4" HDMI waveshare touch screen and it comes with a screen on/off button on the back.
https://www.waveshare.com/img/devkit/LC ... -LCD-2.jpg

I am going to put it into a case and i would like to solder a button https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/se ... ching-blue to control it.

Being a bit of a newbie to this homeproject lark i noted the button on the waveshare has 3 contacts and i am not sure why? Does that mean a need a special 3 pin button?

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: screen switches on waveshare screens

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 am

I don't think there is anything special about that button on the screen.

I suspect the three pins on the same side are actually all connected, and the three pins the other side are the same. The switch will probably then go between the two sets of three pins (if that makes sense?!)

Best bet would be to grab a multimeter, set it to continuity mode, and check to see if any of the pins are connected (remember to have the switch in the off position)
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

yokels2
n00b

Post by yokels2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi dave

thanks for that, good idea, never thought of doing something that simple..... doh!

will let you know how i get on, will solder one wire across as a test after using a multimeter.

yokels2
n00b

Post by yokels2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 am

two of the top pins are just to hold the button in place using solder. Middle pins handle the power, Bottom pins have something on the board but do not seem to affect the screen. Earth potentially?

Anyway managed to solder a new button with cable successfully.

Thanks