Faulty usb hub

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
dar_thompson
n00b

Faulty usb hub

Post by dar_thompson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 pm

MODMYPI LTD - Order 253018

7 Port Raspberry Pi USB Hub - UK Plug 5V 1A MMP-0184

A few years ago I bought one on these hubs and it still works perfectly with Raspberry Pi 3 connected to 2 USB hard drives. So I naturally chose another hub of the same type to upgrade another Raspberry Pi system. Unfortunately the makers seem to have changed the product. The one sent in order 253018 seems to have backfeed power through the downstream port. Also, judging by its power indicator LED, it frequently fails to start. Its power supply works fine, supplying 5.07V consistently. And finally, when I tried to remove it from the clip-on stand, the case came apart. So all-in-all it may look like the one I bought a few years ago, but is not as good. So, it's very disappointing, but I would like to return this item for a refund.

David Thompson

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Faulty usb hub

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 am

dar_thompson wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 pm
MODMYPI LTD - Order 253018

7 Port Raspberry Pi USB Hub - UK Plug 5V 1A MMP-0184

A few years ago I bought one on these hubs and it still works perfectly with Raspberry Pi 3 connected to 2 USB hard drives. So I naturally chose another hub of the same type to upgrade another Raspberry Pi system. Unfortunately the makers seem to have changed the product. The one sent in order 253018 seems to have backfeed power through the downstream port. Also, judging by its power indicator LED, it frequently fails to start. Its power supply works fine, supplying 5.07V consistently. And finally, when I tried to remove it from the clip-on stand, the case came apart. So all-in-all it may look like the one I bought a few years ago, but is not as good. So, it's very disappointing, but I would like to return this item for a refund.

David Thompson
I'm really sorry about that! I will have our sales team arrange a return for a refund for you.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

dar_thompson
n00b

Re: Faulty usb hub

Post by dar_thompson » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Faulty hub returned with pre-paid label and refund notification received.

New Link 4-Port USB Hub (MMP-0182) odered and received very promptly. This one has worked flawlessly from when it was first plugged in. Great service from ModMy Pi and a really good little USB hub. Recommend this one completely.