faulty flight stick

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
scoobydobedoo
n00b

faulty flight stick

Post by scoobydobedoo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:54 am

hey there i wonder if someone can help me out.

i brought the flight tracking kit from your website last year and all was working fine (or so i thort)

ive been talking to a few people who own radar sites using these kits and was informed my range should be alot more then what im getting

ive done some research and found a volt/amp meter for the pi to see if everything is ok.... however ive found the voltage is fine and is reading at 5.40 without the flight stick plugged in and 5.33 with it plugged in.

once i plug the flight stick in it shows the amps its puilling is 0.05. which is well under powered and should be pulling 1.0 amps or just under,

can i get some help on this please as my new antanna has even worse range and cost a lot of money that i cant use.

i have attched 2 photos to this to show the above problem

many thanx

ben
Attachments
IMG_1824.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG (847.14 KiB) Viewed 197 times
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG (942.22 KiB) Viewed 197 times

scoobydobedoo
n00b

Re: faulty flight stick

Post by scoobydobedoo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Order ID: #211544

david.baker
n00b

Post by david.baker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:21 pm

The voltage is controlled by the wall power supply unit (the thing that plugs into the wall outlet). The power supply is a voltage source means that it will put out power at a set voltage (close to 5V in case of the raspberry pi) and then supply as much current as the device needs at that voltage.

There might be something wrong power supply that causes it to run at 5.4V and it should be closer to 5.0-5.2V. This will usually NOT cause things to fail or reduce the range. It will cause the raspberry pi and the prostick to run hotter than normal.

I suggest trying a different power supply and check the voltage and the raspberry pi logs.

The current is controlled by the prostick. It will draw as much current as it needs.
Normal operation of prostick:
~0 mA when not running
~100mA raspberry pi talking to the prostick (radio circuit not on)
~300mA when fully running (radio is running)

Normal operation of the Raspberry pi:
~ 200mA-700mA (raspberry pi power usage)
~ above number + 300mA (with the radio running)

The raspberry pi will keep local logs of the entire system status and will include the prostick status.
If you can get to the command prompt and run the commands
"dmesg | grep usb"
and
"cat /var/log/syslog | grep usb"
to see what is happening.

You can email adsbsupport@flightware.com if you have any questions.

scoobydobedoo
n00b

Post by scoobydobedoo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 pm

hello and thank you for your reply,

when i run the first command i get the following
logs.jpg
logs.jpg (290.84 KiB) Viewed 175 times
this make no sence to me and i dont know what im looking at or for lol
is this right for the orange flight stick?

also can you tell me how to run the cat /var/log/syslog | grep usb command as nothing comes up when i type it in

many thanx

ben

scoobydobedoo
n00b

Post by scoobydobedoo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:21 pm

hey

finally heard back from flightaware about this issue after waiting months for a reply and they have also comfirmed that the stick is indeed faulty and is not drawing the correct amount of power that it should be for my area,

the lack of power is effecting my range and the aircraft that it is picking up,.

i currently pick up 150 aircraft with 100 Positions which being so close to london isnt right,

i have had a friend come over with his pi and flightaware stick using my attanna and it has picked up well over 300 aircraft with 270 Positions,

i live on the main flight path to all of londons airports so i should be picking up the excatly the same amout of aircraft as my friends one did...

theres defo an issue here and im not sure how to fix it,
any ideas :/