40 Pin Extra Tall Header (Push Fit Version)

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
CeePee
n00b

40 Pin Extra Tall Header (Push Fit Version)

Post by CeePee » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 am

•Order ID #236453
•Version of Pi # Pi Zero W
•Part Code #MMP-1004 - 40 Pin Extra Tall Header (Push Fit Version) - Single Shroud
•Fault # The header pins are loose when inserted through the PCB and require soldering to the board to stop them coming back out.

I bought this header to mount a Four Letter pHAT (MMP-1033) as I was assuming that it should be a "tight" fit when inserted through the pHAT, but unfortunately, it is loose when pushed through the PCB and slides back out easily?

Can you advise if this is correct and it requires soldering in place, or have I the wrong part?

Many thanks, Chris.

Jake
ModMyPi

Re: 40 Pin Extra Tall Header (Push Fit Version)

Post by Jake » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi Chris,

You're attempting to use this header directly with the Pi Zero PCB? If so, you will need to solder it in place.

The header in question is designed to "push fit" with the socket headers - https://www.modmypi.com/electronics/hea ... header-smt

The holes on the Pi Zero are through hole - designed for use with a male pin header like this - https://www.modmypi.com/wire-solder-and ... pin-2-x-20 - which you would solder in place.

The part you purchased can also be used, but it would need to be soldered to the PCB. This would give you a female socket and male header.

There are "hammer" header versions available. But in all honesty we do not recommend them, as they're more likely to damage the PCB than give you a stable connection.

Hope that all makes sense! :D

-- Jake
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

CeePee
n00b

Re: 40 Pin Extra Tall Header (Push Fit Version)

Post by CeePee » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi Jake,

I was trying to use this header to attach to a Four Letter pHAT, so that I could effectively wire to the spare pins (poking through the pHAT) for other components, without having to solder it on.

I understand what you are saying, but that isn't clear from the product description as it says "This is a push fit version of our extra tall header ..." and "If you need an extra tall header with slimmer pins for soldering applications we also stock a solderable version..." which kind of implies that it doesn't require soldering.

But anyway, my mistake, many thanks for your help :-).

Chris.