Faulty GOPiGo3

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Faulty GOPiGo3

Post by Dave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:20 am

Could you check to see if the wheels are touching the acrylic, and if so adjust them slightly so it doesn't.

Could you also check that the black circle on the encoder side of the motors aren't touching the motor. You might need to carefully prise it away slightly. Not by much though.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

victoria
n00b

Post by victoria » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi
I've tried the suggestions that you have made, neither has worked. Please could you fix this or could you send a replacement.This has taken me a significant amount of time to no avail, with the amount of unsloved issue that have been posted on the forum, should you really be selling this product? If a solution cannot be reached, I will just have my money back.

RobertLucian
n00b

Post by RobertLucian » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi Victoria,

I'm Robert and we discussed your problem on our forums here:
https://forum.dexterindustries.com/t/fa ... elp/5164/6

As for the problem you are now encountering, I don't think the 2nd board you got is malfunctioned. I just think that you don't have your robot configured properly. I'm now gonna suggest you download DexterOS image, flash it to your card and see if Bloxter does it for you. Here's the page from which you can download the image:
https://www.dexterindustries.com/dexteros/

To reiterate what I have just said, these are the step-by-step directions you need to follow:
  • Download DexterOS image from the page I've shown you.
  • Flash DexterOS image onto the micro SD card that you got with the GoPiGo3 package - to flash the image I suggest you use Etcher.io.
  • Place the micro SD card into your Raspberry Pi.
  • Plug in the battery back (make sure it's fully charged up) into your GoPiGo3 - I'm not referring to the micro USB cable.
  • Power up the GoPiGo3 robot by pressing the button on the GoPiGo3 (the red board).
  • Wait for the WiFi LED to light up and turn to green - this may take up to 1-2 minutes - once it lights up, connect with your laptop to it (via WiFi) and you'll be automatically redirected to the robot's page (that is served from the robot itself and it's not available on the internet). By the way, the WiFi LED is the one next to our robot mascot.
  • Try using Bloxter (drag-n-drop-based programming, done visually) - or better yet, use the Drive scene to drive your robot with the keyboard. This will tell you if the robot can actually drive straight or not.
At the same time, could you take a couple of photos of the 2 encoders the robot has? Some close-up shots should do the job.

I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad time with yours. From my experience, I can tell you the GoPiGo3's hardware is pretty solid and I've done lots of things to it that would not be considered "orthodox" and yet it survived. Probably now we're just witnessing a bunch of unfavourable conditions coming together - in statistical terms, those small percentages that rarely happen.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to hearing from you and see how it went.

Cheers!

victoria
n00b

Post by victoria » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi
Sorry but I don't know where to start, I don't know how to remove the SD card, how to 'flash an image' onto said SD card. If it's no trouble, could you call me up and talk me through how to do it.
Thanks in advance,
Henry Jobling

Jake
ModMyPi

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Henry,

The following guide demonstrates where the microSD card is on the Raspberry P. You'll need to remove it, by pulling it out of the microSD socket. You may need to disassemble the Raspberry Pi from the GoPiGo to gain easy access to the microSD socket:

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/getting-st ... tart-guide

As Robert advised, you'll then need to download the new operating system, and install it on the microSD card.

https://www.dexterindustries.com/dexter ... -robotics/

That link above has very detailed tutorials on how to load an image onto a microSD card.

If you're having trouble with a specific step or part of the process then please let us know and we'll do our best to assist.

-- Jake

victoria
n00b

Post by victoria » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 am

Please can you send me a replacment mircoSD card because I dont have a way to load my SD carrd onto any machine in my house. This product has cost £200 of my pocket money, and i can't afford an adapter. please can you help me because this has taking about 3 months just to gte to this point. It has become nothing more than a pain.
Thanks in advance
Henry Jobling

Jake
ModMyPi

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am

Hi Henry,

I am genuinely sorry for the frustration you've experienced up to this point with the product.

I would like to assist further, however a task such as re-formatting an SD card is a part of the learning experience with the Raspberry Pi. It is extremely likely that you will need to complete this task at some point, and part of the fundamental skill set required to progress with the Pi.

It's not practical for us to send a new microSD card every time the image fails (which is a frequent occurrence with the Pi & new users!). Even if you would simply like to use the Pi for an alternative task, you'll need to re-load the operating system.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime"

We can provide the information (https://www.dexterindustries.com/dexter ... -robotics/) and the tools (https://www.modmypi.com/kawau-c296-usb- ... ader-512gb), but the task of "doing" is up to you!

It is of course your choice, but it may be prudent to arrange a return and refund of the kit at the point. I think that both sides have exhausted the options available. I do not wish to take up more of your time, and we'll be happy to pay for any return carriage costs, and issue a full refund for the kit!

Please confirm and I'll get this arranged for you.

-- Jake

victoria
n00b

Post by victoria » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:00 am

Hi,

We have now downloaded the updated software and the problem is even worse. Really, although the experience of getting the product to do work at all is not part of the experience, but to enhance it yes.

We have now purchased the adapter at extra cost to us and invested hours of time since July and not actually done anything but try to fix it.

You should test the product before you supply it, to ensure it works.

Additionally we need to speak to someone verbally as we need an interactive conversation that doesn’t take a day per answer to resolve this.

Please suggest a way forward before we launch a complaint on your site, and se d the product back, our time is precious and costly too.

Regards,

Justin.

Jake
ModMyPi

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:28 am

Hi,

If you have re-loaded the software and the problem is worse, then it would suggest a software/calibration issue rather than a hardware issue. Robert did suggest some additional troubleshooting you could complete in his earlier post (using Bloxter & sending pictures of the encoders), I'm sure a video would help them as well.

You can request a verbal conversation with them if that is your wish, although it's often easier to work through these issues via written communication so you can send pictures/video's, and refer to earlier steps and notes. They are based in the US, and I'll leave Robert to follow that up.

Alternatively, I simply suggest that you return the products to us, and we will issue a full refund for you. As you've noted, you've already invested a lot of time in the product and I don't want to see you put further energy into a device which has not met expectations.

You can do this by following the Royal Mail returns link below and creating your shipment.

https://www.royalmail.com/track-my-return/create/2596

Please print the label generated and stick this to your parcel, then take the parcel to any Royal Mail post office or drop-off location. We'll be happy to accept all parts, regardless of their condition, and issue a refund for them.

I'll have Robert follow up in the mean time, or if you are returning the goods, please confirm.

-- Jake

victoria
n00b

Post by victoria » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:08 am

Hi Thanks
I posted the robot back to you on 25th October. I also included the original receipt. We would like a refund, and refund receipt.
Please let me know when this has been done.
Thank you for your help in this matter.
Kind Regards,
Victoria