UPS Pico always in low powering mode

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
mortommy
n00b

UPS Pico always in low powering mode

Post by mortommy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi,
I'm using my UPS Pico HV 3.0A (firmware v 0x32) since April 2017 on Raspberry Pi 3 with no issues until few days ago. This summer was hot here so I decided to mount the FAN kit and the gold reset pin (not used so far) but the UPS Pico started to don't work: I could see only the FAN led ON. I read somewhere, in the forum, that if the battery is broken the UPS Pico switch off by itself and since my battery 4000mAh was always connected I thought could be the case, so I changed it with the small one included 450mAh and it started to work. Anyway I noticed, even if I had set up a threshold temperature (0x6b 0x14) higher than the default one, that the fan was always ON even if the register 0x6b 0x13 was saying off.
I decided to update the firmware to the last stable one 0xE3, everything went well but the UPS Pico now goes always in low powering mode (UPS LED off, FAN LED on). The unit is communicating with the raspberry pi via i2c:

Code: Select all

UPS PIco HV3.0A Status

UPS PIco Firmware.....: e3
  UPS PIco Bootloader...: 53
  UPS PIco PCB Version..: 41
  UPS PIco BAT Version..: LiPO (ASCII: S)
  UPS PIco BAT Runtime..: 16 MIN
  UPS PIco r232 State...: OFF

Powering Mode.........: RPi POWERED
  BAT Percentage........: 120.0 %
  BAT Voltage...........: 4.3 V
  RPi Voltage...........: 5.1 V
  NTC1 Temperature......: 44 C
  TO-92 Temperature.....: 42 C
  Extended Voltage......: 0.1 V
  A/D2 Voltage..........: 0.0 V

PIco FAN Mode.........: ERROR
  PIco FAN State........: OFF
  PIco FAN Speed........: 320.0 RPM

Powered by PiCo
I tried a factory reset but after the buttons combination (UR, C) the unit goes back to low powering mode.
I tried to re-upload the latest firmware but now when the bootloader it is invoked after the command:

sudo python 9600_picofuHV3.0.py -v -f 0xE3_UPS_PIco_HV3.0_main.hex
I get:

Validating firmware: OK
Checking communication with bootloader: KO
ERROR: Failed to establish communication with bootloader in PIco. Is the PIco in the bootloader mode? (Red LED lid on PIco)
After I restarted the picofssd.service the FAN went to an nosily high speed and the battery LED switched on, but still UPS LED off (the fan status register still said the FAN is off even if it was maybe at 100%). THe RR button made the fan at default speed, the battery led switched off, ups led off and fan led on.

I don't know if it is needed but I didn't install the UPS PIco HV3.0 Hardware RTC.

Do you have any ideas what is wrong here?
Thank you.
Regards.

mortommy
n00b

Re: UPS Pico always in low powering mode

Post by mortommy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 pm

To exclude power issues I tried with a different power unit (5V, 3A) with no luck :(

mortommy
n00b

Post by mortommy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Some news here:
when I disconnected the power unit I noticed the UPS Pico switched off the raspberry pi after 1 min, so actually it was working. So in the new manual I found the register LED_OFF and its value was 0x00 (not 0x01 as default should be), changed to 0x01 and now I can see the UPS LED blinking.

I have some doubts:

The fan, it is now manged by the firmware (but it seems it is not working) or by the python script?

Can be the battery (450mAh) original not working? I set up UPS PIco BAT Runtime to 16 min but the UPS Pico switched off after 1 min.

What is the HOT LED? now is blinking.

thank you.

Regards.

mortommy
n00b

Post by mortommy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 pm

mortommy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:11 pm
The fan, it is now manged by the firmware (but it seems it is not working) or by the python script?
it seems by the firmware, I'm making some tests and I was misunderstanding the BCD values
Can be the battery (450mAh) original not working? I set up UPS PIco BAT Runtime to 16 min but the UPS Pico switched off after 1 min.
According to the manual the 450mAh should be just for the safety switch off.