Faulty RPi Zero WiFi Dongle

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
mitgobla
n00b

Faulty RPi Zero WiFi Dongle

Post by mitgobla » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi, I ordered the micro-usb WiFi dongle for the Raspberry Pi zero, and I have had no luck getting it to work. I ordered the product off amazon.

Order ID: 026-2621446-1638738
Version of Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi Zero V1.3
Part Code/Name: Pi Zero WiFi - Micro USB WiFi Dongle
Fault
Connected to the Pi, it does not light up at boot or at all; and it cannot connect to my router.

Troubleshooting Completed:
Here is everything that I have tried:
I initially had Raspian Jessie on my Pi Zero. I followed the setup guide on ModMyPi which used the minimal wpa_supplicant.conf. No luck.
I then tried the full wpa_supplicant.conf and followed other tutorials for Raspian Jessie. After these attempts didn't work I even modified /etc/network/interfaces to connect wlan0 and wlan1 to my router. Nothing.

I thought the device was broken, as I wasn't getting any light. I couldn't check if the wifi symbol on the GUI was on (I only use command line) and since the USB occupied the micro-usb port I could not attach a keyboard to check if the interface was being detected. I did not give up here.
I didn't have much on this Pi so I flashed it with the latest Raspian Stretch and followed similar steps to what I had previously... minimal wpa_supplicant.conf etc. The Pi boots up fine, and it definitely isn't the power supply at fault. Still nothing with the wifi dongle.

I don't have a way to test this it in another computer at home.

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Faulty RPi Zero WiFi Dongle

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 am

Internal reference: Order ID: #244586

Could you run the following command with the USB dongle plugged in please, and post the results:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Could you also post the contents of your wpa_supplicant.conf file please (remember to remove any passwords)

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

mitgobla
n00b

Post by mitgobla » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Thank you for the quick reply! :D

I am unable to type lsusb with the dongle plugged in as it occupies the only micro-usb port. I even tried this:

sleep 30;lsusb
So that it would wait 30 seconds, let me uplug the powered usb hub, and then plug in the wifi dongle. However, when I plug the dongle in, the raspberry pi reboots immediately.

Here is my wpa_supplicant.conf on the Pi Zero

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
country=GB

network={
    ssid="NETWORK_NAME"
    psk="password1234"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

mitgobla
n00b

Post by mitgobla » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Ok, I managed to get lsusb to run by setting up auto-login and a script that executes the command when it logs in. This is the output I get when the wifi dongle is plugged in from the start:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Doesn't look like it detects the wifi dongle at all. When I ran the command with my keyboard plugged in, it detected my keyboard.

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:14 am

Ok thanks for doing that. It does indeed appear not to be detected.

I will have our sales team contact you to arrange a replacement.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

mitgobla
n00b

Post by mitgobla » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Thank you so much! :D