Ethernet port not working

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
m4rkw
n00b

Ethernet port not working

Post by m4rkw » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi, I recent bought a Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B and Raspberry Pi Power over Ethernet (PoE) HAT. I plugged the hat in, stuck in memory card and plugged in the Ethernet cable to my ubiquito POE switch but I wasn’t seeing any lights come on, either for status or on the Ethernet port.
I tried different cables and ports - but all ports have POE.
I removed the hat and then plugged in micro usb to power the raspeberry pi and a solid red light comes on, but still no action on the Ethernet port.
I am a beginner so apologises if I am doing something wrong, but followed a couple of YouTube videos and it should have worked :).
Thanks,
Mark

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Ethernet port not working

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am

Hi Mark,

Firstly could you post your order id please :)

Ok, so even without the HAT plugged in the Raspberry Pi won't boot? If the green led next to the red led doesn't light up at all (it should flash a bit when power is first applied) it means it can't read the SD card.

Most of the time, in this case, its the SD card at fault. A simply format and re-install of Rasbian fixes this most of the time. We have a guide on how to do that here - http://s.modmypi.com/noobs

Your best course of action is to make sure you can get the Pi booting without the HAT plugged in first, then we can tackle the HAT if it still doesn't work.

Try that guide first and let me know how you get on.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

m4rkw
n00b

Post by m4rkw » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks Dave - my order number is: 246396

Ill try the SD thing later - you think this might get the green light working and then the ethernet port might start working? That would be great.

Thanks,
Mark

m4rkw
n00b

Post by m4rkw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi,

I have got the pi working now and all installed, but still not able to get POE hat working. If I plug in power, I am able to get internet via the ethernet cable, but if I unplug the power adapter then the pi will turn off..
Is there any other set up I need to do to get that working?
Thanks,
Mark

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:13 am

m4rkw wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:05 pm
Hi,

I have got the pi working now and all installed, but still not able to get POE hat working. If I plug in power, I am able to get internet via the ethernet cable, but if I unplug the power adapter then the pi will turn off..
Is there any other set up I need to do to get that working?
Thanks,
Mark
On the PoE HAT at the top left edge of the GPIO pins you should see two pins, labelled "CN2" - If these pins have a jump on (they do by default) - Then you will need to hold the button down, on the PoE HAT, for 2 seconds to turn the Pi on.

If you want the Pi to turn on automatically as soon as power is provided over Ethernet, then simply remove this jumper.

Make sure you don't power the Pi with both PoE and micro-USB at the same time though.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support