New Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Not Booting

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
CintaMiahRhodes
n00b

New Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Not Booting

Post by CintaMiahRhodes » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Hello,
I purchased the Pi 3 B+ for my brother for Christmas, and it worked well for about 24 hours, then suddenly we were unable to boot it - there is a steady red light but no other action.

We have already done a format and fresh install of the OS (NOOBS) from the Raspberry Pi site, following the troubleshooter instructions. We have not tried the SD card resurrection technique from the troubleshooter (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1162) as my brother is not confident to do it by himself and I am not going to be visiting for another couple of months.

As I am not nearby to help out, a lot of tinkering is not really possible - would it be possible to supply a new SD card with the OS installed, and we will return the original? Or any other (simple!) solutions would be welcomed :)

Many thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Order ID: #248012
Product info:
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ "Starter" Kit
- Includes Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ **MMP-1153**
- Raspberry Pi Case: Pi-BLOX
- Select Case Colour: Pi-BLOX White **MMP-0104**
- Micro SD Card: 16GB Sandisk w/ Official Adaptor (Class 10) **SAM-0002**
- Power Supply Select: UK **MMP-0018**
- Video Cable Select: HDMI - Black - 2m **MMP-0832**
- Ethernet Cable Select: White - 2m **MMP-0809**

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: New Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Not Booting

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 am

When you formatted the SD card, did you receive any errors, or did it format ok?
When you copied the NOOBS files over to the SD card, did they copy across ok?

If both format and copy worked fine, then the SD card is ok, and probably not the cause of the problem.

Does your brother have another power supply to hand he could use? The majority of micro-USB phones chargers work. If he is able to try another power supply then we can rule that out as the fault too.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

CintaMiahRhodes
n00b

Post by CintaMiahRhodes » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you - we have tried different power supplies, different monitor etc and no luck.

The format and copy seemed to work fine, no errors or anything. Worth noting that when we originally inserted the SD to the PC, it read as 3 drives, and after formatting it only reads as one drive.

We were wondering whether the Raspberry Pi SD card reader could be physically damaged/ corrupted?

Many thanks for your help!

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 am

CintaMiahRhodes wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm
Hi Dave,

Thank you - we have tried different power supplies, different monitor etc and no luck.

The format and copy seemed to work fine, no errors or anything. Worth noting that when we originally inserted the SD to the PC, it read as 3 drives, and after formatting it only reads as one drive.

We were wondering whether the Raspberry Pi SD card reader could be physically damaged/ corrupted?

Many thanks for your help!
Ok thanks for confirming all that, sounds like the Pi itself is faulty then I'm afraid. Sorry about that!

I will have sales contact you to arrange a return for a replacement.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support