Pi B+ SD Card Reader not working, doesn't boot properly via USB

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
PM2019
n00b

Pi B+ SD Card Reader not working, doesn't boot properly via USB

Post by PM2019 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Order ID: 251823
Product: RPi 3+

When using the Modmypi MicroSD cards both RPis won't boot, the ACT LED will blink irregularly until it complety stops blinking. Same thing on both Pis with newly flashed SD cards on noobs and raspbian. When running a raspbian boot from an USB flash drive the Pi's ACT LED will start blinking constantly in a regular matter (around once per second). At the same time I am still unable to SSH to the Pi's via USB cable (using the necessary setup and I tried out different cables on both) so I can't test if it is actually booting via USB drive.

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Pi B+ SD Card Reader not working, doesn't boot properly via USB

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:26 am

Do you have the order ID that contains the Pi and SD card please?

You can't SSH over USB with the Pi 3B+ (this is only possible with the Pi Zero) - Are you able to hook up the serial lines and connect via the serial console to see if the Pi is booting - https://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

PM2019
n00b

Post by PM2019 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 am

Hi, thank you for your reply, I wasn't aware u can't enable the 3 b+ to SSH via USB. But you can still ssh via Ethernet, right? I'm trying to get an Ethernet adapter for my MacBook by tomorrow. Currently I can't connect to the serial port due to lack of a cable but if that's what it takes I can get a USB to Serial Cable.
As there was a typo in the first post the Order ID is actually 251832.

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:55 am

PM2019 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 am
Hi, thank you for your reply, I wasn't aware u can't enable the 3 b+ to SSH via USB. But you can still ssh via Ethernet, right? I'm trying to get an Ethernet adapter for my MacBook by tomorrow. Currently I can't connect to the serial port due to lack of a cable but if that's what it takes I can get a USB to Serial Cable.
As there was a typo in the first post the Order ID is actually 251832.
Yes SSH over Ethernet is fine. By default SSH is actually disabled on Rasbian, so to enable it, you will need to add a file called "ssh" (with no extension) in the /boot partition.
3. Enable SSH on a headless Raspberry Pi (add file to SD card on another machine)
For headless setup, SSH can be enabled by placing a file named ssh, without any extension, onto the boot partition of the SD card from another computer. When the Pi boots, it looks for the ssh file. If it is found, SSH is enabled and the file is deleted. The content of the file does not matter; it could contain text, or nothing at all.

If you have loaded Raspbian onto a blank SD card, you will have two partitions. The first one, which is the smaller one, is the boot partition. Place the file into this one.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ccess/ssh/

If the green light flickers for a bit and then stops, this would indicate that the Pi is booting, and when it has finished booting, the LED stops blinking. This is normal behaviour and to be expected.

When booting from a USB flash drive and the LED constantly blinks in a regular matter, I suspect that the Pi is not actually booting correctly. This could be due to a slow performance flash drive.

I would recommend only trying to boot via the SD card slot on the Pi until we can figure out if/what is the issue.

PM2019
n00b

Post by PM2019 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi Dave, thank you for your help, using an Ethernet cable I was able to ssh into the Pis! I just have another question for my next order: Can I use the zero w's to create a mesh network and is it possible to ssh into a pi (3b+ or 0w) using a mesh network?
Kind regards,
Paul

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 am

PM2019 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm
Hi Dave, thank you for your help, using an Ethernet cable I was able to ssh into the Pis! I just have another question for my next order: Can I use the zero w's to create a mesh network and is it possible to ssh into a pi (3b+ or 0w) using a mesh network?
Kind regards,
Paul
Great, glad you are able to ssh into the Pi!

I'm not familiar with mesh networking myself, but a quick Google search says it's possible! - https://tomesh.net/build-a-node/