SD card problems - suspected faulty

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
wavey
n00b

SD card problems - suspected faulty

Post by wavey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi - have had issues with 8gb SD cards supplied on two recent orders.

OrderID: 252243 (30.01.2019)

1x MMP-1282 8gb card (out of 4 ordered)

OrderID: 255159 (06.03.2019)

2x MMP-1282 8gb card (1 in zerow starter kit, 1 additional in order)

Version of Raspberry Pi: ZeroW
Operating System - stretch light
Part Code/Part Name - MMP-1282 8gb SD card

Fault - SD Cards faulty/non operational

From Order #255159

- sd with ZeroW/kit appeared DOA. ZeroW would not boot. subsitituted spare card i had and no issues with ZeroW
- other sd in order booted noobs and completed OS install on bare zeroW. Shutdown, reassembled ZeroW in case. Did not boot again. subsequent troubleshooting found issues with sd card (see below)

From Order #252243
- sd card put into service troublshooting found unresponsive

For all three cards - troubleshooting carried out.

- microsd in adapter card - all non visible to Mac HighSierra disk util.
- microsd in adapter card - 2/3 non visible to Windows 7 Disk management (no ping/device detected)
- attempted formatting in both Canon Digital Camera and Panasonic HD video cam - all card not recognised
- microsd placed directly in win8 lnx tablet - two cards not visible to OS, one card visible but with only 120mb capacity.
DISKPART could clean the disk, but the 120mb partition remained and could not be selected/deleted
- none of three cards capable of being formatted by SD association formatter v5 on win7. Two non visible. One visible at 120mb and failed format / size adjustment back to 8gb. Could not be cleaned of partition table.

suspect have 3 cards to arrange return

regards
Dave.

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: SD card problems - suspected faulty

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm really sorry about that!

I will have our sales team contact you to arrange a return and I will get them replaced with 16GB SD Cards.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

wavey
n00b

Post by wavey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks.. as it happens since my last post and debgging with a newly acquired usb/stick card reader - i managed to somehow crack one of the defective sd cards plugging in for more diskpart/clean or dd/nuke from orbit attempts. no idea how i did that but totally my fault.

So only have 2 to return now :)

cheers
Dave.

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am

wavey wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:07 pm
Hi Dave,

Thanks.. as it happens since my last post and debgging with a newly acquired usb/stick card reader - i managed to somehow crack one of the defective sd cards plugging in for more diskpart/clean or dd/nuke from orbit attempts. no idea how i did that but totally my fault.

So only have 2 to return now :)

cheers
Dave.
Not a problem, you should have received an email from our sales team already.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support