Corrupt SD Card

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
ElAlastair
n00b

Corrupt SD Card

Post by ElAlastair » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Order ID: I don't have an order ID but I placed it on 16 July 2018. I can provide my email address if that enables you to look it up.

Version of RPI: 3 Model B+

Operating system: Raspbian (exact version unknown)

Faulty part code: TRPLUSKIT-A (just the SD card in the bundle)

Fault:

Unfortunately my 16GB SD card seems to have died out of the blue.

I came back to my Pi today and everything was readonly. Rebooted the Pi and it went into recovery mode and attempted to reinstall NOOBS, which failed. The SD card now seems to be unusable.

Troubleshooting:

I have attempted to format the SD card by various means including SD Card Formatter, putting it in a camera, etc. but it simply will not format

I am wondering whether the issue was caused by the power supply (MMP-0018) that I also purchased from you, as I have been coming back to my Pi (which runs 24/7) to notice that it is either off/restarted or just stuck on a black screen refusing to accept any input.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Corrupt SD Card

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 am

Have you noticed the blue light on the power supply flashing, or simply not being on at all?

Might be easiest to get the Pi, Power Supply and SD Card back for testing to ensure we issue the correct replacement. Could you PM me your email address please, so I can look up your order.
Forum Administrator & Technical Support

ElAlastair
n00b

Post by ElAlastair » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi, I’ve found out the order ID is 235322.

The only light on the Pi is a solid red light.

I’m happy to send the SD card back and wait but my Pi is wired in to a bit of a difficult setup to take down/put up again so would rather avoid that if possible.

The SD card is definitely fried (unless there’s a method for formatting it I’ve not tried) regardless of whether there’s an issue elsewhere too. Preference would be to get a new SD card as a first resort. Anyway, let me know. If that’s not possible I’ll just buy one.

Cheers.

Jake
ModMyPi

Post by Jake » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 am

Hi,

We would prefer to get all 3 items (Pi, Power Supply and SD Card) back please.
notice that it is either off/restarted or just stuck on a black screen refusing to accept any input.
It looks like one of the parts has an intermittent issue causing the Pi to drop out. Hard shutdowns/reboots of the Pi will eventually cause an SD card to corrupt, and in the worst cases will kill the card. It sounds like this has happened. It would indicate that the PSU is faulty, or the Pi itself has an issue. Just replacing the SD card will likely not solve the root cause, and you could find yourself in the same situation.

If we get it all back, we can test it all and ensure you have a stable system

-- Jake

ElAlastair
n00b

Post by ElAlastair » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Thank you for the reply. Please let me know how to proceed with the return.

Dave
ModMyPi

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:15 am

ElAlastair wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Thank you for the reply. Please let me know how to proceed with the return.
I will have our sales team email you with instructions on returning the items.