Pi Camera Box 24/7 reliability

Need some help with your shiny new breakout board, or something not working right? Let us help you here!
Worik
n00b

Pi Camera Box 24/7 reliability

Post by Worik » Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 am

tl;dr Looking for reports on reliability of PI + camera + case over extended periods

I have a raspberry Pi Zero, with a camera that I have been using as a security camera running motion plus some scripts.
I have not been able to have it run reliably more than 24 hours, it has never run 72 hours.
I started out using the standard case. I noticed the chip getting hot so switched out to a bead board arrangement and a heat sink.
I am still having problems.

My question here is for anyone using the cases supplied by modmypi, especially this one for the zero or this one for PI 3. Has anybody had one running continuously for up to a month at a time?

Dave
ModMyPi

Re: Pi Camera Box 24/7 reliability

Post by Dave » Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 am

I personally had a Raspberry Pi 2 setup as a dog cam, using the ModMyPi camera box and never had any over heating issues. Not sure if a Pi Zero or Pi 3 naturally runs hotter or not though.

You say you have the same issues even when everything isn't in a case, so is it definitely the Pi overheating causing instability?

What SD card are you using? If you are constantly reading/writing to the SD card, maybe the performance of the card is to blame?

Do you have anything else plugged into the Pi?
What power supply are you using?

Could be that you are drawing too much current (if you have other things plugged in) or maybe the power supply isn't up to scratch to the meet the power needs of the Pi + camera?
Forum Administrator & Technical Support